Monday, December 1, 2008

I'm not darwyn cooke

hi, folks,

if there is indeed anyone out there....

I was at Darwyn's place few weeks ago and asked "when are you going to start a blog?" He smiled and said "when you do it for me."

So here it is.

My name is Calum Johnston. I run Strange Adventures, a pair of spiffy comic book shops in eastern Canada. I also have been helping Darwyn sell his wonderful art book, retroactive. Look for ordering info elsewhere on this page or e-mail me for info.

I'm going to be posting some of the drawings and sketches I've swiped from Darwyn and will add any info about his upcoming works, too. Right now, he is at work on the Parker series of graphic novels, adapting the first couple of books by Donald E. Westlake (writing under the name of Richard Stark). They are wonderful stories, very hard-boiled adventures and I can't think of anyone better suited to bringing them to a new audience than Darwyn.

If you have any questions or comments for Darwyn, post them or email them and I will do my best to get them to him and hopefully bring back an answer or response.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Calum,
My name is Joel Meadows. I am the editor of TRIPWIRE plus I wrote Studio Space, the book that Image published about 20 of the world's best comic artists that came out in May. I know Darwyn and asked him at SDCC if he would be up for being in our followup, which he said he'd be up for. I emailed him but haven't heard back, so I was hoping you could contact him and get him to get in touch. My email is joelmeadows@btinternet.com. thanks

Parka said...

Cool. Hope to see more entries in the future!

Jon Rob said...

Hope to see more soon.
I was lucky enough to grab Retroactive from Isotope during a trip to San Francisco.

Re : Parker graphic novels. Parker as in Point Blank?

Calum Johnston said...

Hi, Joel - I sent your info to Darwyn. Hopefully you will hear from him soon.

Parka - I'm aiming at updates every Friday.

Jon Rob - Yes, that Parker. Donald Westlake has written a number of great books under the name Richard Stark that feature Parker.

Anonymous said...

Hey Calum- Jon mentioned Isotope. Do you know if there are any extra of those prints from that Isotope party that Darwyn brought back? Thanks!

Calum Johnston said...

i don't think so, but I'll check. You might want to contact the folks at isotope to see if they have any. http://www.isotopecomics.com/

Diana said...

Hi Cal,

Thanks for doing this up on Darwyn's behalf!

Calum Johnston said...

hi, Diana,

I'm always happy to gab about comics - especially Darwyn's!

SyNNer said...

Hi Calum,
Any chance you could forward a question i have to darwyn for me?
I could'nt find your email anywhere!! :)

Brian Demeter said...

Calum,

I created a custom Mighty Mugg inspired by the work of Darwyn. Thought the fans would liek a peek. :)

http://briandemeter.blogspot.com/2010/11/custom-superman-mighty-mugg.html

Brian Demeter
www.briandemeter.com

Skidbld said...

Hi Calum,

I'd like to speak with Darwyn about a game project we are working on for the Japanese market. Can you please pass on the message and let me know how best to get in touch with him?

Thanks,

- Chris

Calum Johnston said...

Hi,

send some info to calum@strangeadventures.com and I can pass it along to Darwyn.

-cal

Alex said...

Hi, I wanted to know if Darwyn has planned trips in Europe and more particularly in France? if yes when ? is a fan meeting is planned ? Thanks. Alex